Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 December 2012

The dangers of teaching English

When I'm not studying or pretending to study, I teach English privately. I started off with just one student - at the time she was only 4 years old. She was still in nursery and couldn't read or write so we just played games and sang songs and did colouring sheets. Now she's 6, is in her first year of primary school but still can't read or write so the lesson content hasn't really changed much but she's getting an impressive scottish accent! The next student to join the fold was my second cousin. He's 32 but decided he wanted to learn english to help him with his job since the company he works for has a lot of international clients. So his lessons are mostly conversation based and relaxed. He's hoping to go backpacking round the UK on his own later next year so that he's forced to speak english all the time. Then one day I got a phone call from my first student's aunt who asked if I could go teach her two children too. She has a buy and a girl. The boy is 14 years old and aces all his english exams at school because they are so much easier than the exercises he does with me. The girl is 9 years old and isn't as intelligent as her brother but she's making steady progress too. The next student I took on was the son of the woman that works in the local shop. He's 7 and is my favourite student. He remembers everything I teach him.

The problem was when I took on the most recent student. He's the same age as me and I had never met him before. My boyfriend nearly had a fit when I told Him and insisted on sitting in on the first lesson. Talk about embarrassing and unprofessional. The fact that my student is good looking and works out daily at the gym didn't seem to help matters.

"What's his name? I might know him," asked my boyfriend.
"Nicola, I think", I replied.
"And where does he live"
"Ga*******"
"There are only two Nicola's I know that live there. One is a womaniser and one is gay..."

Thank goodness he's the gay one!

No comments:

Post a Comment